Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP)
Create Pathways To Independence With MSSP
10,000 people a day turn 65 in the U.S., a number that is expanding at an unprecedented rate. Of those, 70% is predicted to need some form of long-term care services during their lifetimes.
(CA Assembly Committee on Aging and Long-Term Care, 2015)
In research conducted by the AARP, nearly 90% of seniors expressed a desire to stay in their own homes as they age, commonly referred to as “aging in place.” Even if they began to need day-to-day assistance or ongoing health care during retirement, most (82%) agreed that “life is better at home.”
The Multipurpose Senior Service Program’s (MSSP) primary objective is to help seniors age in place, by delaying or avoiding entirely, inappropriate and costly nursing home placement through the provision of long-term services and supports necessary for independent living. The cost of MSSP to Medi-Cal is $359 a month per person, versus an average $3,200 a month for a nursing home.
Why Partners in Care for MSSP?
- Partners in Care has 15 years of experience operating MSSP, serving LA County, Antelope Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and the San Fernando Valley.
- The high quality of Partners work in complex care case management, specifically MSSP, was recently recognized with a two-year Accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), making Partners only the second community-based organization in the nation to receive the NCQA seal.
- Partners’ team of highly-trained and culturally competent MSSP Care Managers visit each patient at home to conduct a health and psychosocial assessment. They then work with the patient and their caregivers to develop comprehensive care plans, obtain critical resources and services, and ensure participation in essential programs that will foster self-sufficiency and assist the patient in his or her daily living.
Who is eligible for MSSP?
To be considered eligible for the Multipurpose Senior Services Program clients must:
- Be 65 years of age or older
- Live within a site’s service area
- Be able to be served within MSSP’s cost limitations
- Be appropriate for care management services
- Be currently eligible for MediCal
- Be certified or certifiable for placement in a nursing facility
What services are provided by MSSP?
The services that may be provided with MSSP funds include:
- Adult Day Care / Support Center – Community-based programs that provide non-medical care to meet the needs of adults with disabilities; a variety of social, psychosocial, and related support services in a protective setting, necessary to reach a therapeutic goal.
- Housing Assistance – May include provision of physical adaptations and assistive devices, emergency assistance in situations that demand relocation, temporary lodging expenses in particular situations, and assistance to restore utility services.
- Chore and Personal Care Assistance – Services are provided by individuals to elderly persons who need outside help to maintain independent living. Chore is for purposes of household support and applies to the performance of household tasks rather than to the care of the client. Personal Care provides assistance to maintain bodily hygiene, personal safety, and activities of daily living.
- Protective Supervision – Insures provision of supervision to persons in their own homes who are very frail or otherwise may suffer a medical emergency. Such supervision does not require medical skills and can be performed by an individual trained to identify the onset of a medical crisis and able to summon aid in the event of an emergency.
How can we help you?
If your patients or members are in need of services to maintain independence, please contact Aloyce Rachal, MSSP Site Director, North & South at 818 837 3775 x 129 / email@example.com