Making affordable housing with personal and health-related services available to seniors and individuals with disabilities while maximizing dignity, privacy, independence, and autonomy
The Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) is a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver that was created by legislation that directed the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) to develop and implement the project to test the efficacy of assisted living as a Medi-Cal benefit. Partners in Care Foundation is one of the participating Care Coordination Agencies (CCA) to deliver the ALW program.
To be eligible to receive services as an ALW Participant, an individual must meet all of the following ALW eligibility criteria:
- Age 21 or older
- Have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility with zero share of cost
- If you do not have Medi-Cal, please visit the Department of Health Care Services website for more information: https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ medi-cal/Pages/ApplyforMedi-Cal.aspx
- Have care needs equal to those of Medi-Cal-funded residents living and receiving care in Nursing Facilities
- Willing to live in an assisted living setting as an alternative to a Nursing Facility
- Cannot be concurrently enrolled in Cal Medi Connect, SCAN, or PACE programs
- Able to reside safely in an assisted living facility or public subsidized housing
- Willing to live in an assisted living setting located in one of the following counties providing ALW services: Alameda, Contra Costa, Fresno, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Sonoma counties.
- Partners in Care Foundation serves the counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino
If you are not within Partners in Care Foundation’s coverage area please refer to the below link for other CCA’s: https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ltc/Documents/Care-Coordination-Agencies.pdf
Please NOTE: In an effort to reduce confusion when navigating California’s complex long-term care (LTC) systems, DHCS is amending the current HCBA Waiver to integrate ALW services, in alignment with the end date of the current ALW term, February, 28, 2024.
The goal of the ALW is to:
- Facilitate a safe and timely transition of Medi-Cal eligible seniors and persons with disabilities from a nursing facility to a community home-like setting in a Residential Care Facility (RCF), an Adult Residential Care Facility (ARF), or public subsidized housing (PSH), utilizing ALW services; and
- Offer eligible seniors and persons with disabilities, who reside in the community, but are at risk of being institutionalized, the option of utilizing ALW services to develop a program that will safely meet his/her care needs while continuing to reside in a RCF, ARF, or public subsidized housing.
ALW Waiver Benefits and Services:
Assisted Living Services:
- 24-hour awake staff to provide oversight and needs of residents
- Assistance with activities of daily living and instrumental activities of daily living
- Social services
- Housekeeping and laundry
- Recreational activities
- Skilled nursing services
Care Coordination Services:
- Developing Individualized Service Plans (ISPs)
- Conducting assessments and reassessments
- On-going case management
- Monthly visits to ensure service delivery and care